GSM license approval for HAR2009

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Jul 22 21:58:58 UTC 2009

Hi Stefan!

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 06:32:28PM +0200, Stefan Schmidt wrote:

> > It would be great to know which other OpenBSC users/hackers will be present
> > at the event.  As there are multiple things that I'm planning to do at HAR2009,
> > I would be happy about any help that I might get from you guys.
>
> Daniel, Jan and me will also be there. We already have our cards so the problem
> with sold out cards did not catch us. I can only speak for myself, but I would
> bet Jan and Daniel are thinking along the same lines, we would be happy to help
> out.

Ok, great!

> > Basically there will be
> >
> > * A 'stable' GSM network with BS-11 and OpenBSC for people to test
> >   their phone interoperability with OpenBSC by making/receiving calls and
> >   SMS.
>
> Great. Covering the whole event with an official GSM network should give us a
> lot of fun. :)

well, I basically want to avoid the impression that this is a phone network for
reliable use for everyone.  The software will not run stable enough, and I
suspect many interoperability reasons.  Also, our capacity is too small for the
number of people at the event.

"stable" means that this is not where we should test each and every of our
committ's, but rather run something that we expect to behave as sane/stable
as possible.

> > Especially for the 'stable' network, there is a lot of help required, among
> > others:
> > * physical setup of the BS-11
>
> When do you plan to do this? We haven't settled for final dates yet, but planned
> to be around from 12. - 17. Daniel and I should be able to be there earlier. I
> would think it would make sense to get the physical infrastructure in place
> before most of the people arrive. 10. - 11. for physical software setup sounds
> like a good idea to me. That should give us enough time to have it running
> stable from 12. to 16.

I don't really know yet.  I'll ask the HAR guys how early we can start to put
up our equipment.

> What about tents, tables, chairs, etc? Is this something we get from the orga
> or should organise ourself? I may be able to arrange a big tent plus some
> tables and banks. Taking into account that I would need to ask and we have
> the transportation proplem I would prefer equipment already at the
> destination.

Don't count on any equipment being there for us.  I'll bring my own personal
tent (well, it is a tent intended for 5 people AFAIR), but that's it.

If we start to ask for support from HAR, I think this will in turn raise the
expectations that we actually provide a stable operational service for them -
something that I think we simply cannot provide yet.

> > * registration of mobile phones into the network. It would probably be good
> >   to have a setup where people can plug their SIM into a SIM card reader
> >   (or phone that can read the IMSI).  We can then create the SQL entry with
> >   their IMSI and extension.
>
> Maybe some pre-registration over a website which feeds the IMSI into the db and
> assigns a number? It would help to spread the load of register 3000 IMSIs during
> the event. :) On the other hand it would drain time now. Anyway, I volunteer to
> help out dealing with people at the event.
>
> Hmm, another idea pops up into my mind right now. Any chance we can get a big
> bunch of pre paid SIMs without money on the account? If we would get some 100s
> of them we could prepare them in advance and just hand out to the people.

well, those SIM's would have to be sold, and that would mean dealing with cash,
dealing with change, etc. - not very practical IMHO.  Also, if we sell something,
that again leads to the conclusion that people should get something in return.

It might also raise the wrong impression to the regulatory authority if we actually
charge money for anything.

> > * making sure the network runs and OpenBSC / hfcmulti gets restarted in case
> >   something hangs.
>
> Should be the job for the same people running the GOC (GSM Operating Center) ;)

heh.  well, we can have a simple script that respawns the two (in the right
order) if bsc_hack dies.  We should have 'ulimit -c unlimited' and store all
the core files for later debugging.  Also, the pcap files have to be rotated
away at every bsc_hack restart.

We also need to ensure that we save the bsc_hack binary that corresponds to the
respective core versions.  Maybe actually the entire corresponding source tree
for gdb.

That would be a task for our pre-HAR TODO list (I'll start one soon).

> I've seen on the wiki side that you will bring two BS-11 for the stable network.
> Do you think that are enough, or should Daniel bring his one as well. (Not that
> I could stop him putting _everything_ into the car for the event.)

Well, I think it is always good to have another unit, and if only as spare part
in case one breaks or magicall disappears.  Apart from that, it might also help
for testing BS-11 specific code on something that is not the production network.

Regards.