GSM license approval for HAR2009

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Jul 22 21:49:00 UTC 2009

Hi Stefan,

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 07:11:12PM +0200, Stefan Schmidt wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-07-22 at 18:38, Harald Welte wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure if I can manage to implement this, but it would be the
> > solution I would hope for.  On the other hand, having to manually enter people
> > keeps the number of users smaller and more controllable.  If there's one
> > volunteer who can take care of that, it should be fine.
>
> Hmm, judging from the rush at the POC on other conferences/camps at the first
> day I would think we would need at least 3-4 people at the first day. Especially
> if you have in mind that it is a new "feature" of such an event and people may
> carry a GSM handset with them but no extra DECT. For the later days 1 or 2
> people at the desk should be ok.

I think we should advertise/communicate the GSM network as a more experimental
feature.

Even with two BTS at two TRX (exercising all our four ARFCN), the total call
capacity is not more than 13 simultanesous MS-to-MS calls (since each call
requires two timeslots).  Yes we could do half-rate, but we have no software
support for that so far.

Sure, we can take a different approach and just let everyone in and see how
many segfaults of OpenBSC we can fix under that kind of load :)

But I think a 'slow start' would definitely help, where we don't allow too many
people onto the network.

Of course we could also allow people to register their IMSI themselves on a
web-based interface, but then have something like a global counter of currently
attached MS in OpenBSC and then simply refuse further people on the network.

So a manual registration process has the following pro's:
* the number of authorized ms on the network is limited
* the number of authorized ms is growing at a slow speed
* we have some personal interaction with the respective people and maybe
  can actually ask them to do a MO and MT call during registration, marking
  this handset model (IMEI) as 'known working' or file a bug report.

An automatic registration process obviously has the following pro's:
* we can get virtually everyone onto the network
* we do not need to spend time with registering people.

I'm a bit undecided, but think for HAR2009 we should probably go for a manual
process first.  Only after things have proven reliable in that scale, we can
plan for something bigger next time (26C3).  If everything works fine on the
first day of HAR2009, then we could also switch from manual to the automatic
process, at least if the software already exists.

If the process is still manual but the web-based UI already exists, we can
also see if we can find some random HAR volunteers to do the actual
registration procedure.

Regards.