OpenBSC with 2.5G or 3G mobile devices support? / Tested Phones

Nordin bouchtaoui at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:31:36 UTC 2009

> You don't mention which git branch you use, so its probably the
> master branch.

I guess it is the master branch, but I'm totally new to git, so it must
be a default thing. Though I'm new to git, I must say I really like it.

> If you look at the recent changes you will notice
> that the SYSTEM INFORMATION 3 and 4 rest octets are now set to the
> padding bytes which means they contain no information (which also
> means no GPRS). So this is the most important part where you have
> to look for differences.

The funny thing is, I really thought I already tested that using these
settings (putting rest octets to 0x2b). But now I'm not sure anymore.
Anyway, I hope I can confirm that  before the end of today.

> I can confirm that a HTC Touch Pro will not register to the BTS
> if the GPRS indication is set, it will register if it is not set.

I believe you.
But this means that your HTC needs more relevant GPRS settings before
deciding to register. So it than searches for altenatives, but since the
BA list is empty it starts all over again and the whole process repeats,
which might result in a long procedure before it gives up. This is what
it might could be the reason, I'm not sure.
Also that the HTC (and maybe other PDA phones) makes a distinction
between BSS with GPRS support and BTS without GPRS support for its own
selection behaviour. With GPRS support there is another step before
registering process, while without GPRS support that step is skipped.
Nice challenge to figure that out.