statistics tools for OpenBSC

Clemens Hopfer datacop at wireloss.net
Fri Dec 25 02:56:37 UTC 2009

Am Freitag 25 Dezember 2009 03:07:34 schrieb Harald Welte:
> Hi Clemens,
>
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 01:41:06AM +0100, Clemens Hopfer wrote:
> > At the moment it only supports one data source for a single rrd file, but
> > I'll add commandline options for the file and counter name.
> > I think this is the easiest solution, adding a new counter is just
> > creating a new rrd file and adding a cronjob.
>
> well, it's also easy to generate a list of the counters from the sql
>  database by using something like "select unique(name) from counters" and
>  then iterate over that list...
hmm, I'm not very familiar with rrdtool, but afaics there is no direct option
in rrdtool to add a data source after creating a rrd file.
However the Perl RRD bindings actually got a function to do that and there are
several suggestions to dump the rrd file to xml, change that file and recreate
the rrd file but I'm not sure if this is a really good idea...
That's one reason (apart from simplicity) why i only used one data source for
now.
It would be also possible to use a dedicated directory and create RRDs of new
counters on-the-fly.

I'll have a look at the Perl api, although I don't like Perl that much... ;-)

> > It would be great if someone could post some sample data to do some
> > tests.
>
> I cannot send you the full hlr.sqlite3 of my test machine, sorry.  but I've
> attached the output of 'sqlite3 -csv hlr.sqlite3 "select * from
>  counters;"'. The counter values are very low as I've been playing around
>  with few phones and few events, but it should give you a feeling for it.
thanks, that's everything I wanted :-)

> btw: Will you be at 26C3?

yep, I'll arrive at Saturday afternoon.