Update on GSM network at 26C3

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Dec 16 08:45:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:18:16PM +0100, Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> TODO items before 26C3 (for the next couple of days):
> > * finish handover implementation (critical)
> > * do some more testing with LCR integration (Andreas did it, but I also
> > want
> >  to have more hands-on experience with it)
> > * introduce log levels and/or per-subscriber tracing functionality to
> >  "see the signal among all the noise" while debugging problems in an
> > otherwise
> >  busy network
> > * ensure SMS implementation is more robust than at HAR
> > * log all measurement reports to database for later analysis of handover
> >  performance.  We could also get them from pcap files, so not strictly
> >  neccessary.
> >
> > Optional:
> > * finish AMR-halfrate implementation, as this will increase our capacity.
> >  This includes dynamically selecting the codec that is used for each call.
> >  I don't think we'll manage finishing this, especially with the LCR
> >  integration.  Standalone might be possible - but that is useless for 26C3
>
> Are you planning on finishing up all those points by yourself or could you
> use some help on some of theses ? (It wouldn't be very efficient to have
> several people working on the very same feature independently).

well, as it seems zecke is already doing a lot of work with regard to
logging/tracing.  Not sure if he can finish that all by himself.  If yes,
it would be great to simply use his work.

If you are interested, you could work on the SMS implementation.  Somehow
we have a number of known bugs:
* inconsistent/incompatible/incorrect handling of transaction ID's
* interleaved 04.11 CP-DATA transfers if a phone sends a multi-part
  message or multiple SMS at the same time.  If you do this right now,
  we will use one full cycle of channel request -> immediate assignment
  -> establish indication -> cm service request -> cm service ack and
  then the full CP and RP transfers for each part of the message.  However,
  the phones use the MMS (more messages to send) and overlapped / interleaved
  CP-DATA transfers in order to do all of this in one go, in one RR connection.
  We need to support this.

I think the handover I'll have to do by myself, and theoretically it should
all be finished in my codebase, will spend the full day today testing and
finishing it.