[RFC] Patches for better channel management

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Apr 8 11:52:32 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 04:05:59PM +0200, Holger Freyther wrote:
> Hey Harald,
>
> I didn't know your favorite way of getting patches so for now I simply
> attached them to this mail. I found some time to continue with channel
> management and would like to get feedback if this is running into the right
> direction or if you have something else or other ideas.

I think it looks great, please continue this way.  Obvious bugfixes like the
call state one should be directly committed to svn.

> The reason to not just apply these patches are within the first patch.
> Currently we don't serialize the struct gsm_bts so after a restart of the
> bsc_hack we would have to force another location updating request...

I think we can do something like 'lazy re-establishment', i.e. if we get a
channel request and identify the subscriber, then we should just treat this
as a 'imsi attach' and assign the current_bts pointer.

Also, the attach/detach state (and number of bts as well as timestamp) has to
be stored in the sqlite database, so we after bsc_hack restart we can do a db
lookup and decide if we should try to page (and where!) or not.

At bsc_hack startup we can iterate over the database and expire any old
'attach' state entries if they are too old (user-configurable timeout, but I'd
say one hour as default)

regards.