[op25-dev] rs decoder in hdu.cc

Michael Ossmann mike at ossmann.com
Mon Jul 15 05:58:45 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 07:13:56PM -0400, Matt D wrote:

> We are getting the data messages out of the HDU.  So how is this so if
> we are not doing the error check? Is it not necessary for extracting
> the data information?

All of the error correcting block codes used in P25 are the sort where
the codeword includes the encoded data verbatim; the code appends bits
used for error correction, but a receiver can ignore those and just pull
out the data bits.  This greatly increases the likelihood of
post-decoding bit errors, but it works fine when the SNR is good.