[op25-dev] rs decoder in hdu.cc

Matt D md123 at nycap.rr.com
Sun Jul 14 23:13:56 UTC 2013

On 07/14/2013 04:29 PM, Steve Glass wrote:

>> In the hdu.cc file there is a function 'apply_rs_correction'.  I
>> am interested in finding out how this works.  What is confusing
>> me is that I know it works.  But I have been looking at this code
>> and to me it seems to do essentially nothing???
>
> The code is a "stub" and does nothing. A stub is something intended
> for future development but time has moved on and nothing been
> added.
>
> In this case the commented out code is declaring a 2D array
> consisting of the indices of each of the hex bits in the source
> frame. The actual indices have not been initialized and the RS not
> implemented.

Hey,
I was under the impression that upon transmission the HDU undergoes
both a (36,20,17) Reed-Solomon encoding and a (18,6,8) shortened Golay
encoding and therefore would have to be error checked with both of
these for decoding. We are getting the data messages out of the HDU.
So how is this so if we are not doing the error check? Is it not
necessary for extracting the data information?