OsmoDevCon / COVID-19

Harald Welte laforge at osmocom.org
Fri Sep 4 19:08:20 UTC 2020

Dear fellow Osmocom developers,

as you all know, we've sadly had to postpone OsmoDevCon 2020 back in
April this year.  At the time, we discussed to re-visit the situation
in October 2020.

While legally it is no problem at all to host an event with ~ 20
participants in Berlin/Germany (specific regulations really only start
from 50+ participants) - I'm not entirely convinced it would be the
smartest move.

Legality and public health regulations are only one part of the equation
- common sense and profound care for the key members of our community
for sure are more relevant considerations to me.

I'm not 100% in favour and not 100% against.  Hence, I would like to get
your input.  Should we

a) try to get an event organized on-site in Berlin?  We'd have to move
   to a larger venue than IN-Berlin with proper ventilation and sufficient
   space so we can keep physical distance, but I think that's
   manageable for sysmocom as organizer.

b) simply postpone to 2021?  I'm convinced the situation will not change
   significantly (in a positive way) until late April 2021, so it's not
   really a "solution" as it will likely mean we have to think of late
   2021 or 2022.

c) plan some kind of online conference?  To be honest, I think this
   model works fine for events where a single speaker wants to give
   lectures to hundreds or thousands of participants.  But OsmoDevCon
   is much more interactive.  We could record or live-stream some talks
   or screencasts from home, sure.  But that only captures one part of
   the event.  We could also try to set a date for a collaborative
   mumble, or the like - for the "hallway track".

What are your thoughts?  Let's avoid cross-posting the discussion to all
of the mailing lists and simply have it on openbsc at lists.osmocom.org.

- Harald Welte <laforge at osmocom.org>            http://laforge.gnumonks.org/