osmocom-bb compilation problems

Tomcsányi, Domonkos domi at tomcsanyi.net
Wed May 16 21:32:45 UTC 2018

Hi Nikos,

> ​-> git status
>
> ​On branch master
> Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
>
> Changes not staged for commit:
>   (use "git add <file>..." to update what will be committed)
>   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
>
>     modified:   src/README.building
>
> no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")
>
> -> git add src/README.building
> -> git add -f src/shared/libosmocore/configure
> -> git push ssh://osmo/osmocom-bb.git
>
> Everything up-to-date

You seem to be missing a vital step - committing.
After files are added to a commit you need to “finalize it”, so to speak, by saying
git commit -m “commit message”

After that you can push.

>> > ​Anyway to check if changes committed?
>> > Cloning from gerrit will just give me ​the main osmocom-bb.git :(
>>
>> You are merely allowed to push a patch for review. Cloning osmocom-bb.git will
>> only contain your patch if we approved and merged it. Usually that takes a
>> couple of review iterations on gerrit.osmocom.org first.
>>
>> That's a major shortcoming. CVS has its problems but at least you can check what you have just commited:(​

Please do not compare apples to oranges. The whole point of using gerrit is to have a streamlined patch review process in place.
With a little bit of patience you can learn the way git works and after that you will see it is just as easy as cvs, but you do need to learn it!

I would be happy to find some introductory manual about git usage to help getting you on track.

Cheers,
Domi