Complexity of emergency-only baseband development

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Mar 13 01:24:33 UTC 2017

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 08:36:46AM -0500, Denver Gingerich wrote:
> So I'd be curious to know if the emergency-only use case is substantially easier to develop for, or if it's roughly the same complexity as developing for the all-purpose use case, or somewhere in between.

If I understand OsmocomBB correctly, the main point is getting a handle on the
hardware. When the phone starts, it will run its firmware. The external
computer is needed to hook onto the phone's boot process and make it do other
things than the firmware would. Apart from that, an emergency call shouldn't be
any easier than a normal call, the phone still needs to do all the basic GSM
networking things (signalling etc) before a call is even possible.

But ... this is just a guess from my very feeble knowledge of OsmocomBB.

~N