OsmocomBB - C155 - stuck at flashing firmware

Gerard Pinto gerardfly9 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 02:19:14 UTC 2016

Greetings,

I have been working with OsmocomBB with C155 model.
After a lot of reading and understanding issues on mailing list, following
the right instructions I am unable to understand where the problem is -
cable or the locked tracfone C155 or my setup.
I was successfully able to build the project.

I am stuck on executing the following command
~/osmocom-bb/src/host/osmocon# ./osmocon -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -m c155
../../target/firmware/board/compal_e99/layer1.compalram.bin
<No output at all>
<Even on slight push on power button no output>

Please find my specifications and findings below:
1. C155 locked tracfone.

2. FTDI adapter USB serial from - Fonefunshop
Is there a way to test the FTDI adapter ?
dmesg - list that FTDI adapter attached to ttyUSB0.
FTDI VCP driver is built into the Linux kernel. Do I need D2XX driver ?

3. I'm trying to write the firmware (layer1) with a working GSM sim inside
and not tracfone sim card.

4. strace gives me no trouble other than this access("/etc/ld.so.nohwcap",
F_OK)      = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory) - Is it a worry ?

5. When I execute ./osmocon with all necessary params.
I open a new console and type the following ./osmoload memdump 0x000000
0x2000 dump. - Is this valid at this point? just to see where the actual
firmware is located at?
Dumping 12288 bytes of memory at 0x0 to file dump - Nothing gets dumped into
file dump
Although, I see some output - 'got 2 bytes from modem... ' in the osmocon
window - ./osmocon

It would be very kind if someone could guide me.
How do I verify there is a cable issue <Any software to test TX> since I
have bought these and if not the cable them am I doing something wrong ?

Looking forward to the reply!
Thanks,
Gerard.