Motorola C139 V1.9.24 Won't Load from osmocom-bb

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 09:55:34 UTC 2014

Hi,

> ./osmocon -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -m c140
> ../../target/firmware/board/compal_e86/loader.compalram.bin
>
> I get the following output:
>
> got 7 bytes from modem, data looks like: 66 74 6d 74 6f 6f 6c  ftmtool
> Received FTMTOOL from phone, ramloader has aborted

> I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to how I might be able to coax
> this into working.

Also, try the -c option (see bottom of
http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/MotorolaC140 )
If that doesn't work you can try some of the other -m options

If that still doesn't work, just get another phone and/or another cable.

Seriously, the compal bootloader is a piece of shit, we can't do
anything about it, and trying to remote debug serial loading issue is
a waste of our time.

If you want to debug it yourself, read the source of the osmocon tool
to see what's _supposed_ to happen, then look at the raw bytes
exchanged to see what happenned. Also look at the raw signal lines
with scope  and a logic analyzer to identify timing and signal
integrity problems. If that doesn't yield anything you might need to
dump the flash (how ? good question ... no idea what option there is
without being able to load code. jtag, or chip unsoldering ?), and
reverse engineer the boot loader to see what changed.

Cheers,

     Sylain