Some beginner questions and comments

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 12:24:56 UTC 2013

Hi,

>   - remove the libosmocore subtree git from osmocom-bb git

We can't do that. libosmocore subtree is still used to compile the
embedded ARM version of libosmocore.

>   - remove this line of text from
> http://bb.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/libosmocore: "When you download and build
> OsmocomBB, then libosmocore is automatically part of the package, no special
> action is required."

Indeed. Feel free to edit it.

> - osmocom: some wiki pages refer to an "osmocom" application. Is there an
> osmocom binary? (I think most times it is a typo for osmocon)

It's most likely a typo.

> - I use Wireshark to capture the GSMTAP packets of "monitor". How do I find
> out in the Wireshark trace if a message is sent from the MS or is received
> by the MS?

Look at the ARFCN field of GSMTAP Header. It should indicate uplink or
downlink direction.

> - I want to study the high layer messages (e.g. not cell selection but call
> setup, registering to the network) but I am lost in the debug flags:
> DCS:DNB:DPLMN:DRR:DMM:DSIM:DCC:DMNCC:DSS:DLSMS:DPAG:DSUM. Which ones are
> needed in my case? Is there somewhere a description of the flags?

You're probably better off with wireshark to view the messages.
The debug category are explained in src/host/layer23/src/common/logging.c

> - Some tools (e.g. cell_log) give 'SAP' log messages, e.g:
>   Failed to connect to '/tmp/osmocom_sap'.
>   Failed during sap_open(), no SIM reader
> I suspect this is for communcation with SIM cards. How it is supposed to
> work?
> - Is this 'SAP' stuff only needed/useful for softSIMs?
> - Which application should create the /tmp/osmocom_sap socket? (osmocon only
> creates /tmp/osmocom_l2 and /tmp/osmocom_loader)

SAP support in mainline is incomplete and unsupported currently.

> - Would it be possible to remove the SIM card from my C118 and put it in an
> external SIM reader, and then let "mobile" use the SIM card in the external
> reader instead?

No

Cheers,

    Sylvain