tranceiver support for osmo-bts

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Jan 18 16:34:19 UTC 2013

Hi Andreas,

On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 02:36:20PM +0100, Andreas Eversberg wrote:
> as already stated, thomas a. cooper already implemented an interface
> between sysmo-bts's dsp device and trx manager interface by using
> code from openbts, running in an own process  [1]. i would like to
> follow a different approach by writing a scheduler and adding the
> udp interface for the trx(s). some benefits are in my oppinion:

generally I'm not particular in favor or against any specific
implementation.  The different approaches all have their advantages and
disadvantages.

Just one comment:
> - not having an extra process running with additional latency and overhead

agreed, though on any reasonable x86 machine this is not a problem.  It
is only a problem on something as small as the ARM926 of the symsoBTS,
but then there is no point of running this on the sysmoBTS ;)

> - no running after dsp's api changes, (caused by newer firmware of sysmobts)

While there have been a number of changes over the last year, the
interface is not expected to change anymore at this point.  Also, most
of the changes in the past were related to the board-specific "femtobts"
primitives and not to the actual layer1 API.

So at least this should not be an argument.