GSM test sets (HP 8922M, for instance..)

John Case case at SDF.ORG
Sun Oct 7 21:17:24 UTC 2012

There are a lot of HP/Agilent 8922M units for sale very cheap (less than
US $500).

I know that these devices can simulate a GSM base station, but does that
simulation occur over the air, or do I need to connect my handset I am
testing to the 8922M with a cable ?

I know I need to get a 8322A expansion for the unit - any other details I
should look out for ?

Also, what is an equivalent test unit for WCDMA (3g) base station
simulation (I know these will be more expensive).

Thanks.