Why not a nexus chipset ?

John Case case at SDF.ORG
Thu Oct 4 22:29:41 UTC 2012

On Thu, 4 Oct 2012, Peter Stuge wrote:

> John Case wrote:
>> I was saying that pursuing calypso was a dead end.
>
> I disagree.
>
> There are still quite a few people in the world who can learn about
> low-level details of 2G cell phone networks, and that is valuable.

Ok, I'll qualify that ... I think that pursuing calypso as the only
working component of osmocom, and to the exclusion of all else, is a dead
end.

If Harold gets the open implementation of calypso up and running as a dev
kit and we can all build imsi catchers with that, that's great - I will
buy 10.

In term of making peoples lives better and giving people more security and
freedom, there needs to be a 3G (or even LTE) platform.

I am repeating myself, but again:  when was the last time a reference
handset was in the hands of millions of people ?  And had been produced as
a showcase of running a free OS ?  If these kids can break the PS3, one of
these nexus platforms should be able to be cracked wide open.

> I think your approach to stay with a non-cell phone device is
> admirable, but in practise it's not nearly as convenient and so
> it doesn't scale. It might be good enough for some, but in any
> case it can't really be called a cell phone.

I'm just looking for control and security in my mobile computer ... I see
two different routes to get there:

1. Gain complete, end to end (BP + AP) control over some hardware platform
(obviously preferable)

2. Just find a computer I like and add a USB modem to it (only thing
currently workable)

So it's not what I want, and certainly not what I would push others toward
- it's just the only option...