Programming SIM card RAND?

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 10:38:18 UTC 2012

Hi,

> I'm trying to get some MS test equipment working and have programmed a
> SIM with pysim-prog.py, but the tester has a configuration field for
> RAND and I cannot see how to set this on the SIM. In fact this has
> confused me as I thought the network always supplied this...

You can't set the RAND on the simcard ... that doesn't make sense.
As you said the network provides this.

Now in some tester, they will always submit a fixed RAND and then ask
you to provide the matching SRES and Kc that will be computed by the
SIM when fed this RAND. This way the tester doesn't have to know which
algorithm (XOR, COMP128v1 v2 v3 MILENAGE ...) is used on your SIM.

Cheers,

     Sylvain