USSD Traffic analysis

ty tyruskam at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 10:05:04 UTC 2012

Hallo all.

I have been playing around with OsmoscomBB for GSM voice traffic and
capture. My interested has now stemmed into USSD traffic. Whenever I
initiate a ussd session, I get the error "Session Terminated". Has anyone
attempted to capture ussd sessions using the Motorola C123 or do I need
specialized equipment for this?

Also, am looking into researching more into ussd because here in Africa,
specifically Kenya, there is a proliferation of financial services over
USSD and this begs the question just how secure is it? If anyone on the
list might have done a bit of digging around I'd really love to share
learnings and insights.

-ty