Power-savvy GSM network (was: gsm322.c Bug Fix Patch)

Kurtis Heimerl kheimerl at cs.berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 3 08:32:12 UTC 2012

Comments in line!

On Thu, Feb 2, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Alexander Chemeris
<alexander.chemeris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Kurtis,
>
> (I'm changing subject to the actual topic of this discussion)

Good idea.

> Yes, I quickly looked through your code. Looks like a big hack right
> now, but I guess it's meant to be a hack at this point :)

And it will remain a big hack into the near future!

> So, your idea is to manipulate Tx power of a BTS to cover only
> actually working handsets, if I understand correctly. It's not
> possible to do with a normal GSM phone, because phone does not
> transmit until it sees a beacon. So you want to create a "wake up BTS"
> channel to get around. Am I following your logic correctly?

Ah... sorta not really, unless we're using different terminology. We
use the existing channel (that the BTS is listening on) and send a
RACH over that channel to the BTS. Though the handset can't hear the
beacon, the radio is capable of transmitting at that ARFCN without a
beacon (thanks Sylvain!) if we tell it to do so. We do so ("wakeup"),
causing the handset to RACH at a specific ARFCN and the BTS to hear
some discernible noise (however not a RACH as the clocks are not
synced) and turn the PA on. Following this, the handset camps normally
and makes a call.

In writing that, it is awfully hard to describe. I hope that made some
sense. I can tell you that it's working in our lab, and it's pretty
cool.

> It does look like an interesting idea if could be done dirt-cheap. But
> how do you plan to do paging in this system? I see the only way - to
> use the same "wake up channel", but in other direction. So basically
> you have a network-specific "default" ARFCN which is used when no
> active BTS is in range. All communications are first tried on this
> ARFCN and only then on other ones. Right?

Paging is actually quite simple, as we own the BTS. When we receive a
call, we hold it ("please wait for connection") and turn the PA on. We
then wait for the HS to camp, and if they do, page them once
available. A little delay (much better with SMS), but I think most
users would be fine with it. We haven't written this yet.