OsmoDevCon 2013 brainstorming

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Dec 31 17:37:36 UTC 2012

Hi all,

as the year 2012 has already ended or will soon end depending on your
timezone, it might be a good occasion to start thinking of an OsmoDevCon
2013.

I personally percevied OsmoDevCon 2012 as a big success, and it was fun
to bring everyone together.

Generally, I prefer to keep the spirit of an invitation-only
developer+contributor-only event of those involved in Osmocom.  At the
same time, I would consider it a good idea to add a one day
user-conference to the schedule, where we try to get interested users up
to speed with the various projects, possibly including some workshops
and the like.

So schedule-wise, I would suggest something like:

* one day user conference
* two day developer/contributor event
* optionally: 1-2 "hacking days".

The concept of "hacking days" has proven to be quite useful for the
netfilter project in the past (Pablo and I can acknowledge to that
fact).  I'm not sure how many people would be able to spend even more
days of their schedule, but even if it's a much smaller group it would
still be useful, IMHO.

I'd like you to

1) provide feedback on the ideas about the one-day user event and the
   hacking days
2) consider whether late march (like 2012) would be a good schedule
   again
3) what we can improve from the last event

In terms of improvements, I so far have noted down:
* larger venue needs to be found
* complaints about the venue not having sufficient heating

Venue-wise, I would again suggest to hold it in Berlin, as it's
reasonbly well connected, has lots of low-cost flights to it,
accomodation is not too expensive and holger/me/sysmocom can take care
of local organization related activities.  Hoewver, if somebody has a
strong opinion against berlin _and_ is willing to organize it, I'm not
completely against another venue.

Regards and happy new year,