Question on saving burst information

Bhaskar11 niceguy108 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 16:47:47 UTC 2012

Thanks for the clarification. I'm developing in an unencrypted private
network so it did not strike me!

>>If you want to save the cleartext decoded burst, use tcpdump or wireshark.

I would like to extract only the SMS messages sent to me and save the text
only automatically from within my modified ccch_scan, without using
external monitoring tools like wireshark.

1. From what I have figured out so far, I need to catch the L2 packets at
the point where they are sent on gsmtap_send(), and then apply my own
decode to filter out SMS messages and extract data. Is this correct so far?

2. What reference material would you recommend for L2 packet formats? I
checked the 3gpp website, but there are so many versions of all specs that
I cannot figure what to use, and could not figure out where the format
definitions are given. Is there a better site generally for GSM specs? Or
should I be able to figure this out from the mobile app code alone? (I
tried that but kind of got lost in the call setup process. I will try again
anyway!)

Thanks for your prompt guidance.

B.