Frequency hopping

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 12:31:31 UTC 2012

Hi,

> What happens when a mobile station is in a cell that uses hopping, but the
> mobile locks to that cell (for instance using the function of the
> engineering menu of a BB)?

"Cell Locking" is only for IDLE mode, when selection which ARFCN to
camp on (broadcast channel).
Hopping is only for dedicated channels.

One has no influence on the other.

> Is the hopping mandatory  or the ms can continue working also without it?

Mandatory. If the MS received an ASSIGNEMENT command with hopping
enabled it has to follow it. (or loose signal ...)

> Does osmocom support hopping?

Yes

> What are the commands of the mobile interface
> (if they exist) to show how the hopping is going?

I don't think there is any. But in the log when following the
assignement command you should see some info about the multiple ARFCN
if there is hopping.

> Is it possible to lock with osmocom too?

Look at the 'stick' option in config.

Cheers,

    Sylvain