what about femtocells?

Alexander Huemer alexander.huemer at xx.vu
Thu Sep 22 14:34:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 03:25:51PM +0200, Sébastien Lorquet wrote:
> Do you see any interest in the domain of femtocells?
Of course.
There is already support for one in openbsc [1].
> this model, that will be sold in France, claims to be pluggable
> (probably via ethernet) into nearly any ISP provided home router
> (internet "box").
>
> http://www.pcinpact.com/actu/news/65810-sfr-mobile-adsl-3g-femto.htm
>
> Is it in any way comparable to the nanoBTS and other stuff you're
> hacking nowadays ?
AFAIK this device is 3G only.
Since there is no 3G support in openbsc (yet), I am afraid there is
not much value in the device for openbsc at the moment.
Please don't take my statements as authoritative, I'm not a dev of the
project.
By the way, openbsc has it's own ML [2].

For a bit more information, see [4].

Kind regards,
-Alexander Huemer

[1] http://openbsc.osmocom.org/trac/wiki/HSL_Femto