OsmocomBB Bootstrapping

Kurtis Heimerl kheimerl at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 24 03:18:05 UTC 2011

Hello baseband-devel at lists.osmocom.org!

I've just started my first OsmocomBB project, using a Motorola V171
and the source code in the main git repository. The short hand version
of the story is that we're looking into modifying the GSM MS stack to
allow for the BTS to save some power. This is research being done at
the University of California, and we're sorta amazed at how wonderful
OsmocomBB is for this particular project. Thanks for the work!

Progress has generally been good, and I've been able to build and run
the "hello world" e99 application. Following that, I've moved onto the
mobile app... and run into an issue that I can't seem to resolve by
searching your mailing lists. Basically, each individual process runs
fine:

osmocon installs the compal_e99/layer1.compalram.bin image onto a c155 device
mobile connects (though it doesn't see the SIM for some reason...)
and the terminal is available and active. I'm not able to do much
though, as the MS isn't on yet.

Upon turning the MS on, it scans for a while, eventually detecting my
own cell tower. Terminal is active during this search.

Unfortunately, shortly after detecting and syncing with my tower
(ARFCN 51), the terminal freezes. osmocon begins repeating the
following error:
"Failed to write msg to the socket.."
and nothing else moves. Kaput. Terminal does not respond to any
messages sent. This is my problem, as I'd like to make a call.

PRE-POWERUP
mobile: http://pastebin.com/tPm9ux83

POST-POWERUP
mobile: http://pastebin.com/fMD1Kth6
osmocon: http://pastebin.com/nc3QGGgD
terminal says:
kheimerl at darth-maul /tmp $ telnet localhost 4247
Trying ::1...
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
Welcome to the OsmocomBB control interface
OsmocomBB>
% (MS 1)
% No service.

My intuition is that I've missed setting some key variables in the
related configuration files (~/.osmocom/osmocom.cfg,
~/.osmocom/bb/mobile.cfg). though I can't find ANY documentation about
what's supposed to be in those things.

Any and all help would be appreciated.