First OsmocomBB Connection Tests (Unsuccessful)

Gianni Tedesco gianni at scaramanga.co.uk
Mon May 30 22:30:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-31 at 00:24 +0200, Drasko DRASKOVIC wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Gianni Tedesco
> <gianni at scaramanga.co.uk> wrote:
> >> Synchronize_TDMA
> >> LOST 3054!
> >>
> >> What would this LOST 3054! say ? It does not sound good anyway, but at
> >> this point I am not skilled enough to read OsmocomBB logs.
> >
> > That's fine/normal.
>
> OK, good. Sounds scary, though. I would prefer FIND message when
> things go righth :).

> >> PLMN selection in state 'A6 no SIM inserted'
> >>

> >> Can somebody explain me what the hell is happening here ?
> >
> > No SIM inserted ;)
> >
> > You have 3 options:
> > 1. Check out sylvain's testing branch for a working on-phone SIM driver
> > 2. Use the SAP interface to a PC/SC smartcard reader with SIM inserted.
> > 3. If you want to use GSM test set instead of real network, use test sim
> >   functionality of mobile
>
> Hmm.. I was convinced that there was some kind of SIM card simulation
> implemented in the software and that for basic connection no physical
> SIM card was needed...

Hrm, for cell_log I don't think you need a SIM but when mobile starts it
tries to register with the network which requires a subscription.

> So, as I understood, to have a cell attachment and to have some
> packets exchange I will need to pull Sylvain's branch, as I have no
> network nor PC/SC SIM card reader...

Yes, if you want to register on a network, make/receive calls, etc. For
just finding cells and catching announcements on the beacon channel, you
may be better off starting with cell_log

> > Hope that helps.
>
> Yes indeed. I had no idea what was happening, as I was expecting code
> from the master branch to be operational. I saw NO SIM warning, but as
> I told you, I thought that there was a SW SIM simulation
> implementation somewhere inside protocol stack and that no real SIM
> card was needed for the basic communication (I just want to see few
> packets coming down the stack to get idea of data flow, so I can later
> look at the source code and see how they are processed at each layer).

It is more or less operational except for those two caveats:

1. TX disabled by default so that you have to actively *do* something
yourself before you can transmit on the air, presumably making it your
own legal responsibility (whatever that may mean)

2. Current SIM driver is broken, not sure why sylvains is not merged in
master but I have heard reports that even his driver doesn't work for
some SIM's.

> Thanks !

No probs