reading bts parameters

Tom Mayer ran-kun at gmx.de
Thu May 12 14:04:17 UTC 2011

hello,

I am not quite sure if this is the right place to ask, so sorry in
advance for spamming ir i'm in the wrong place.

I have build and run osmocom on my C123. I am using it for a university
project and we try to read parameters from surrounding BTS. The final
goal will be to separate real bts from imsi catchers.

So my question is, can I use the osmocom library to gather some data
from surrounding BTS? Are there some example programs? Would anyone know
a good way to read the SIM data from the connected C123?

Thanks in advance!
Cheers
Tom

Short example scenario: A very obvious catcher fault would be not having
set the regional code or having set a wrong regional code. So it would
theoretically be possible to read the regional code from the own SIM
card and the regional code of the transmitting BTS and compare those.