lost dump ?!?!?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri May 6 08:52:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 06, 2011 at 09:35:50AM +0300, Alex Badea wrote:

> Specifically, I had the gsmtap packets sent over the network (i.e.,
> non-localhost). There was no UDP listener on the receiving end, such
> that ICMP port-unreachable replies were being sent back. It would
> appear that this causes the sender's kernel to snub some of the
> outgoing packets.  I don't know if the same happens on localhost.

it happens on localhost, too.

> If this is your case, you can try "iptables -I INPUT -p udp -d 4729 -j
> DROP", or something like "nc -l -u 4729 > /dev/null".

The other workaround is to use "nc -l -u -p 4729 >/dev/null" to create a
process that listens on UDP port 4729 and sends all packets to
/dev/null.

I've recently added a gsmtap_sink to libosmocore.  Once we use this from
our various projects like OsmocmBB, there will be no need for any of
those kludges anymore.