RFC: RTOS for Calypso

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon May 16 05:22:33 UTC 2011

Hi!

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 01:18:26AM +0200, suraev at stud.ntnu.no wrote:

> Am I right that some rtos is required only if the device has just
> baseband processor?

well, RTOS is mostly required for running other tasks aside from L1 such
as L2, L3, MMI (UI), etc.

> In case of openmoko we can implement support for L1CTL in FSO
> framework and use any existing Linux running on application processor?

Of course you can do that.  But I think after the RTOS port of OsmocomBB
is completed, not many people will still try to maintain the old
pre-RTOS code.

But at least in one version of the new proposed RTOS based firmware, we
would expose the same L1CTL interface via SERCOMM on the UART, so you
could still run the same layer23/mobile stuff on the host PC (or
Openmoko Application Processor).