Sorry for this kind of mail: but please help||

Peter Stuge peter at stuge.se
Sat Mar 12 12:53:22 UTC 2011

royfarji india wrote:
> Sorry to bother you all. I am a student and desire to become
> researchers like you all out there.

I understand. There are several things that I think you need to spend
time studying, to make the most out of the community. Some are
trivial (write useful email subjects, never send Microsoft Office
files) and others require understanding of a fairly big topic, such
as the problem you met, because the cross-compilation is not being
done correctly. The GNU toolchain is not too simple, so it's a big
topic even for native compilation. It becomes even more important to
know many details in order to firmly grasp cross-compilation.

Toolchain education is not the topic of the project. I would
recommend experimenting with some other ARM microcontrollers first.

> It says that the header file 'signal.h' is missing in osmocore. I
> am just uanble to figure it how it is unable to include the header
> file. please help.

The fact that noone else had the problem could (and should) suggest
that there is a greater error than something related to the header
file.

> Also I am attaching the file of compilation.

Microsoft Office is a proprietary program. The open source community
by definition dislikes proprietary programs. Please keep this in
mind. Please keep the logic in mind.

Even if Word is a big part of your other activities it is important
to speak with fools the way fools understand. (Swedish proverb.) When
working in an open source project, Word is not an appropriate tool,
because you can not know if everyone else has Word, and furthermore,
because you are sending text via email then the simplest method is to
put the text directly in the email. That way everyone receiving your
email can also read the text directly in their email programs. Try it
also with your colleagues. Maybe they will be shocked by having text
available immediately in the email program.

> By the way I am using the gnuarm-3.4.3 as shown on the osmocom-bb
> website.

I believe this toolchain has a bug, and the osmocom build system
currently relies on this bug. With experience from the GNU toolchain
and embedded software development using open source tools the bug is
obvious and trivial to work around. Without that experience it's not
easy to spot. I've sent a patch which makes osmocom assume a bug-free
toolchain, but still be compatible with the old behavior, but it has
not been included yet.

> roy at roy:~/osmocom-bb$ cd src
> roy at roy:~/osmocom-bb/src$ make
> cd shared/libosmocore/build-target && ../configure \
> 	--host=arm-elf-linux --disable-vty --enable-panic-infloop \
> 	--disable-shared --disable-talloc --disable-tests \
> 	CC="arm-elf-gcc" CFLAGS="-Os -ffunction-sections -I/home/roy/osmocom-bb/src/target/firmware/include -nostartfiles -nodefaultlibs"

The error is with --host and the gnuarm toolchain. The specified
target system (arm-elf-linux) would Linux on the phone, which is
incorrect. A more correct prefix tuple for an ARM CPU without
operating system would be arm-elf, arm-none-elf or arm-none-eabi.

> checking for arm-elf-linux-gcc... arm-elf-gcc

osmocom configure expects an arm-elf-linux C compiler, but CC= on the
command line overrides it. This might seem like an acceptable
solution, but in fact the configure script and other toolchain
commands may still rely on the fact that the target system will be
running Linux as specified with --host.

Could try patch v4 in old thread:

http://baseband-devel.722152.n3.nabble.com/PATCH-Adjust-top-level-Makefile-for-arm-none-eabi-toolchain-td2334319.html

//Peter