Cygwin Windows --> Accessing serial port.

R M rm.engineer84 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 17:43:10 UTC 2011

Hi Dieter,

I was going through the archieves and I came across a mail that you
sent on the topic of noisy cabe. I have copy pasted the msg below:

My experience: I work under Windows with Cygwin so the OS internals
how the serial port is handled are (totally) different than Linux.
With the non-blocking variant of "osmocon" it was nearly impossible
to download the code to the phone in a reliable way. So I had to apply
an ugly hack to my version which basically switches the serial connection
to "blocking mode" during the download phase. This way it works rather
reliable here (regardless of using a "real" RS232 port or an USB to serial
converter).

So you might experience the same problem instead of a bad cable. You
can try the attached patch to "osmocom.c". The patch is not for the
latest GIT version, however it should be quite easy to apply it to
the current on. Again, its an ugly hack, but it works for me.

Best regards,
  Dieter

I too work under cygwin environment but under windows 7.

I am not able to download the code on to my phone though my cable
seems to be fine. (I am using the Prolific USB to serial converter and
have performed a loop back test to verfiy the cable)

Can you please provide me the patch for the present version of
osmocon.c as you mentioned in the mail as I am unable to apply the
patch manually.

Thanks and Regards,
RM