Testing protocol stack with OsmocomBB (cheap way)

weberbe at ee.ethz.ch weberbe at ee.ethz.ch
Sun Jun 5 07:22:17 UTC 2011

Hi Drasko

I am not so sure why you are not succeeding in recording anything in
wireshark. From what I have seen from your other posts you are doing
it the right way. Well, here is what should happen anyway:

1) The phone measures the receive power of all the channels it can
handle unless you specified to stick to a specific channel in the
mobile application.
2) The channels with the highest receive power are most likely to be
beacon carriers. So the phone will try to synchronize in frequency and
time to such a carrier. The synchronization in time will retrieve the
current frame number und the BSIC of the base station.
3) If the synchronization is successfull, the phone will monitor
various logical channels on the beacon carrier: The broadcast control
channel (BCCH), common control channel (CCCH) and the paging channel
(PCH) (and maybe some more, I am not so sure). The packets received on
these channels will be dumped on wireshark or whatever you are using.
As soon as all system information (SI) messages from BCCH are decoded,
the phone can camp on this cell.

In order to achieve this you need osmocon, mobile and wireshark to be running.

Hope this helps
Ben