SIMtrace issues

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Jan 31 15:08:16 UTC 2011

Hi Kevin,

On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 11:05:59PM +0100, tsaitgaist wrote:

> I'll be listing some issues I found in SIMtrace.
> This is to warn future users.
> I don't have time now, but I intend to work on this project in 1 or 2
> weeks and correct these bugs.
>
> 1. when starting host program simtrace, the firmware will first return
> ATR. This is an error if simtrace is started after the card has been
> reseted. The program should use the state of the reset and vcc lines to
> know the state.

this is unfortunately not possible.  You _have_ to start your phone
after you have started simtrace.  Otherwise we would not observe PPS
and thus not know which bit/baud rates to use.

> 2. when using a usb hub, having a lot of USB traffic, or poor USB signal
> quality (I don't know exactly), bulk read timeouts can occur in host program
> simtrace/at91sam7/host/main.c line 230:
> rc = usb_bulk_read(udev, SIMTRACE_IN_EP, buf, sizeof(buf), 100000);

ok, interesting.  I think its not really something we need to care about,
if it works reliably using good cables/hubs.

> I already wrote a SIM traffic parser for the PC before simtrace
> appeared. I used a logic analyzer to record the traffic.
> I will integrate the ATR and APDU parsing/checking into the simtrace
> firmware. Wrong recorded traffic will be discarded instead of affecting
> the rest of the parsing.

ok, great. I'm looking forward to any contributions / bug fixes.  Thanks
 a lot!