off-topic apologies - how to unlock sim (not phone)

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Feb 22 12:24:54 UTC 2011

On 02/20/2011 02:07 AM, Scott Weisman wrote:
> I apologize for this in advance. I figure the collective GSM knowledge
> here might be able to help me.

Well, I think it is interesting from a 'scientific' point of view, i.e.
understanding how such mechanism is implemented.

> I have a SIM card that can only be used on one phone. The phone itself
> is unlocked. But the SIM won't work on any other phone. Does anyone
> know anything about this or how to unlock a SIM to work on any phone?

I think the first step is to trace what is happening between phone and
sim card, possibly by using osmocom simtrace.

Once you have a trace, you can look at the messages and try to identify
the mechanism the SIM uses to identify the phone.  After that, you could
possibly implement a small program for a proxy SIM like bladox or
RebelSIM which patches the messages to make the SIM card happy.

All in all not an easy undertaking, but it can definitely be solved.