Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

David A. Burgess dburgess at jcis.net
Tue Dec 13 18:54:12 UTC 2011

Harald -

Some operators have told us that they expect to continue GSM/EDGE service for another 10-15 years, especially in rural areas.  At Range, we borrow a line from King James Bible, "GSM will be with us always, even unto the ends of the Earth."

UMTS is designed to deliver high data rates over fairly short distances and has poor power-efficiency characteristics for both the Node B and the UE.  LTE is a step further in that direction.  As long as that trend continues, which it will because that's where the money is, 2.xG systems will have no cost-effective replacements in areas with low subscriber density.

-- David