Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Dec 13 14:19:35 UTC 2011

Hi Alexander,

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 04:09:56PM +0300, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
> Excuse me for offtopic: I wonder why there is no 3G in Berlin? This looks
> quite weird.

it depends on the Operator and where you are.  They all only use 2100
MHz for 3G, not the lower 900/1800 MHz bands (which they could do
legally after a EU regulation).  But yes, indoor coverage can be really
bad.  For example in my apartment it is difficult to have 3G of all
operators, and the one I use mostly (Eplus) barely has 2G coverage here.
T-mobile and Vodafone are generally better.

It's of course different if you're at major locations like train
stations or the big squares downtown...

Another note:  I've recently seen some operator predictions for Germany,
and they assume something like GSM being in operation until 2020 -
definitely significantly longer than the life time of their existing GSM
licenses (expiring in 2016).  This tells us a lot about the
installed/deployed user base, as well as the limited 3/3.5/4G coverage..