Creating a real usable phone using OsmocomBB

Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli GNUtoo at no-log.org
Mon Dec 12 18:02:21 UTC 2011

>But if the community goes the C1xx route and produces GPL code that
>runs fully on the Calypso, no PC needed, does power mgmt and
>implements some UI on the Calypso-controlled LCD and keypad, I expect
>no difficulty with taking that code, replacing the Calypso-based UI
>with some simple protocol for interfacing with the UI over the modem
>UART (maybe not the same as the infamous AT command interface, but
>doing the same job on the same level of abstraction), and running it
>on my GTA02, hence I'm not complaining.
That's exactly what I was thinking about, since running the layer23 on the
Application CPU is not a so good idea, it renders the phone usable only for a
small period of time(since,in that configuration, you cannot suspend the AP
CPU because it has to run the telephony code).

>maybe not the same as the infamous AT command interface
Why is AT bad? what other protocol do you propose?

Denis.