GPRS Vs EDGE - Trying to decode my own sessions

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Aug 28 07:04:24 UTC 2011

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 03:10:35PM +0200, Luca Bongiorni wrote:
> Unfortunately i'm having some issues due gprs is continuously
> upgrading to EDGE and not having an old "gprs-only" phone, the only
> solution that i'm trying is to force it to remain in gprs-mode by
> reducing the gain and creating noise with the usrp.

I think this sounds like a lot of effort and unreliable.  Why not just
ues an old phone that is not EDGE capable?  you can attach such a phone
to the serial port of your PC and then generate GPRS traffic through it.
Or even get a GPRS modem instead of a phone.

There are several mobile phone databases on the web that show you if a
phone supports GPRS and/or EDGE.

Also, the Ti Calypso cannot do EDGE, so any phone that uses this
chipset and has GPRS support would probably do the trick.  The C155
should fit that description (but you cannot attach it to a PC and have
to generate traffic from the built-in WAP browser).  The OpenMoko GTA01
and GTA02 also fit that description.