SMS status?

Andrew Reusch areusch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 22:46:58 UTC 2011

Hey Stefan,

Thanks for checking in, I hope the CCCamp goes well.

After some more surveying of the osmocom-bb codebase, I don't think I'm
seeing any support yet for LAPDm multiframe mode. According to Wikipedia
this is a necessary step to exchange SMS data (correct me if I'm wrong here,
I just started really learning SMS last week). I've started implementing
this in osmocom-bb/src/host/layer23/src/mobile/gsm48_mm.c as a first step.

I did a quick look around the openbsc codebase. There appears to be some
code there relating to SMS TP-DU forming and parsing, and the rest looks
like it would require some refactoring to split. I'm not sure how much
refactoring is worth it, but at least for the TP-DU code, would you want
that relocated to libosmocore if I wanted to reuse it?

I'll post up a patch when I get something decent. What's (is there a?) the
preferred test method for layer23 code? Understandable that you're having
some trouble getting input from people.

Andrew