RFC: RTOS for Calypso

Drasko DRASKOVIC drasko.draskovic at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 22:12:44 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:35 PM, l--putt <ichgeh at l--putt.de> wrote:
> FreeRTOS
>    What is the problem?

Too Windows oriented for my taste.  Documentation is full of build on
Cygwin and friends. Don't like.

> TNKernel
> http://www.tnkernel.com/tn_description.html
>    Scheduler, Mutexes, Queues, etc. available
>    strange (at least unfamiliar) API for memory

Dunno, I have absolutely no experience with this system. What is this
: http://www.tnkernel.com/ydt.html ? I want OpenOCD, not this.

> eCos
> http://ecos.sourceware.org/about.html
>    many target MCUs but are their any other than ARM in BB chipsets?

Best candidate by all means. Many developers, real industry-grade
stuff and fun to work with.

>    powerful but complex (at least at first glance)

Are you sure : http://opensource.zylin.com/smallecos.html ?

It is totally configurable, you can make it complex as you want.
Experience that can serve every developer on this list, including the
community around eCos. Can be used for future projects and more
serious phones (we have LTE coming, after all ;)).

> NUT/OS
> http://www.ethernut.de/en/
>    minimalistic RTOS, easy to port
>    seems to have sound community
>    familiar APIs: malloc, fopen's devices, ...
>    cooperative multithreading: Is that OK? We still have IRQs for
> realtime...

Not sure about dev community gathered around the project ?

My $0.2.

BR,
Drasko