RFC: RTOS for Calypso

Scott Weisman sweisman at pobox.com
Wed Apr 20 09:14:28 UTC 2011

Hey everyone.

As a sort of side interest of mine, I have collected links to a number of
open source RTOSs (nothing like ROUSs, or so I've heard). NutOS and TNKernel
are two I've never heard of. Thanks for the info on them.

Here are other RTOSs that I know about:

http://code.google.com/p/rt-thread/
http://www.bertos.org/
http://www.chibios.org/dokuwiki/doku.php
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contiki
http://www.tinyos.net/
http://l4hq.org/ (not sure about this)

Technically, eLua probably also qualifies. It already has support for
similar hardware too. I kind of like this idea personally.

The Lua integration in NutOS is interesting for the same reason eLua is.

I have used Lua a bit in customizing the editor I use (TextAdept). While
there are things I don't like about it, it's got some very expressive and
powerful features too.

I haven't looked deeply into any of the above, but none of them seemed too
compelling to me (except for eLua).

Regarding some of the comments on a GUI layer, that is something I did
follow with a little interest a LONG time ago (mid to late 1990s). There
really doesn't seem to be much that is open and designed for hardware like
this.

This is one I remember, when it was actually active:

http://www.picogui.org/

Scott