Linux + u-boot port to MT6235

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Oct 28 13:56:43 UTC 2010

Hi All!

At my OpenBSC / OsmocomBB talk here at the Embedded Linux Conference Europe,
one of the attendees (Marcin, see Cc) came to me after the talk and told me he
had recently done a u-boot and Linux kernel port to the MT6235 (that's the
ARM926 based chipsets found in the touchscreen MTK phones).

He said he has no understanding of GSM or the existing MTK firmware, but is
interested in working together with us to try to make the GSM part work.

I think that chipset is very intesting, as we could implement the layer1
inside the Linux kernel (and submit that mainline, yay!) and run our layer2 and
layer3 implementations as userspace processes on the Linux system, together
with the user interface.

The performance of those devices should be somewhere between the Openmoko GTA01
and GTA02, and the GSM stack is certainly not going to eat away a lot of the
CPU either.

I have asked Marcin to write mail to the OsmocomBB mailing list on where we can
find the code.  He has so far downloaded the code using JTAG.  Combining his
code with our ramloader might remove that JTAG dependency...

Marcin: if you want to push your u-boot / kernel to git.osmocom.org, or want a
separate trac installation for your mtk-linux work, pleaes let me know, I'd be
happy to host that.