command line options for layer23 apps

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Oct 26 15:50:15 UTC 2010

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 02:35:36PM +0200, Andreas.Eversberg wrote:

> i like to change the handling of command line options in layer23
> applications, because different layer23 applications require different
> individual options, and common options also. (e.g. the "mobile"
> application does not required "--arfcn" option, but "--vty-port". others
> do not require "--vty-port", but might require a "--gps-device". all
> apps together require "--socket" and "--gsmtap-ip".)
>
> therefore i like to leave all common options in common/main.c.
> additional options i like to put in the individual app_*.c files. each
> options i like to check at the individual app file. if it doesn't exist
> there, the main.c checks if the option is a common option:
> [...]
> any suggestions or complains?

looks fine to me.  I wonder though, if it actoually would work, I've never
tried to do multiple getopt_long() calls with different opstring/longopt
arguments.

I always pondered if it would be worth to have a modular commandline option
parser as part of libosmocore, as it is something that we could also need
in OpenBSC / OsmoBSC / OsmoSGSN & co.  In reality, certain protocol modules
have a command line argument, or other parts like the logging subsystem
inside libosmocore.