Sim

Sébastien Lorquet squalyl at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 22:08:21 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I can now create binary files, read and write them. Working on record based
files now. Next task is implementing the real SIM commands.

I'm also reading the TS 11.11 spec and noticed the EF.Kc file (/7F20/6F20).
It is named "high activity" file. How high is this activity related to other
files? Should it require wear leveling? I can do that using a log structure,
if required. If this information is not required to be persistent, I can
implement volatile files using RAM instead of EEPROM.

However, I known nothing to the GSM protocol and don't understand why the Kc
must be saved. This value is generated from the RUN GSM ALGORITHM command,
isn't it? According to the spec, is the ME supposed to backup the last
computed key or something like that?

However, I cannot find a file for the famous "cannot be read" Ki used as
input to the RUN GSM ALG command. Is this key not stored in a SIM file? Not
documented in the spec? I think I will do that even if not specified.

At page 36 I can read about the Run Gsm alg command:
This function is used during the procedure for authenticating the SIM to a
GSM network and to calculate a cipher key.
The card runs the specified algorithms A3 and A8 using a 16 byte random
number and the subscriber authentication key
Ki, which is stored in the SIM.

"stored in the SIM" means nothing special, so what's not forbidden is
allowed. Ki will be in a file too. Does someone see a problem with this?

Security is not implemented in the current applet yet. We'll have the
ability to read protect any file, if required, but that's not in my
priorities for the moment.

Regards
Sebastien.