Running osmocombb on a Motorol C118

Maciej Grela maciej.grela at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 21:37:20 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've recently bought two Motorolas C118 with the intent of trying
osmocombb. I have trouble running the firmware correctly however. Here
are the steps I'm taking:

1. Run osmocom:

thermal at richese:~/Publiczny/devel/osmocombb/osmocom-bb/src/host/osmocon$
./osmocon -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -m c123
/home/thermal/Publiczny/devel/osmocombb/osmocom-bb/src/target/firmware/board/compal_e88/layer1.ramload.bin

2. Press power on the phone.
3. Phone boots and downloads code from osmocon (this code lands in RAM
I presume)

Received PROMPT1 from phone, responding with CMD
read_file(/home/thermal/Publiczny/devel/osmocombb/osmocom-bb/src/target/firmware/board/compal_e88/layer1.ramload.bin):
file_size=40232, hdr_len=4, dnload_len=40239
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 1b  .
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: f6  .
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 02  .
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 00  .
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 41  A
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 02  .
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 43  C
Received PROMPT2 from phone, starting download
handle_write(): 1087 bytes (1087/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (1855/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (2623/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (3391/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (4159/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (4927/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (5695/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (6463/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (7231/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (7999/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (8767/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (9535/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (10303/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (11071/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (11839/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (12607/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (13375/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (14143/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (14911/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (15679/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (16447/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (17215/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (17983/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (18751/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (19519/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (20287/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (21055/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (21823/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (22591/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (23359/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (24127/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (24895/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (25663/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (26431/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (27199/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (27967/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (28735/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (29503/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (30271/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (31039/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (31807/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (32575/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (33343/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (34111/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (34879/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (35647/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (36415/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (37183/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (37951/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (38719/40239)
handle_write(): 768 bytes (39487/40239)
handle_write(): 752 bytes (40239/40239)
handle_write(): finished
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 1b  .
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: f6  .
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 02  .
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 00  .
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 41  A
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 03  .
got 1 bytes from modem, data looks like: 42  B
Received DOWNLOAD ACK from phone, your code is running now!

Hello World from apps/layer1/main.c program code
Device ID code: 0xb4fb
Device Version code: 0x0000
ARM ID code: 0xfff3
cDSP ID code: 0x0128
Die ID code: 058d320a9e039bfc
REG_DPLL=0x2413
CNTL_ARM_CLK=0xf0a1
CNTL_CLK=0xff91
CNTL_RST=0xfff3
CNTL_ARM_DIV=0xfff9

THIS FIRMWARE WAS COMPILED WITHOUT TX SUPPORT!!!
Assert DSP into Reset
Releasing DSP from Reset
Setting some dsp_api.ndb values
Setting API NDB parameters
DSP Downlad Status disabledDSP API Version: 0x0000 0x0000
Finishing download phase
DSP Downlad Status disabledDSP API Version: 0x3606 0x0000

What is the layer1 firmware supposed to do now ? I've tried to run
layer23/bcch_scan and layer23/layer23 but they don't print any
messages and so does the firmware itself. I'm under the impression
that the firmware freezes. Have you tested the firmware on a C118
phone ? I will try to find out why it's freezing but maybe I'm missing
something obvious ?

Best regards,
Maciej Grela