Sendsms using cli

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 13:45:45 UTC 2013

Joel,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Alexander Chemeris
<alexander.chemeris at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, do you think this is hardware related and not software related?
>
> Could be hardware setup related or software configuration related.

Good news - if you check out the latest 'umtrx' branch, the issue
should be gone.

Ivan looked into the issue and was able to reproduce it on one of our
test benches under some conditions. The real issue is that with a slow
CPU or some heavy things like X11 present, processing which should be
real-time in OpenBTS is not real-time anymore. And this creates issues
like this at random points of time. The fix which Ivan committed today
hides the problem for SMS, but doesn't fix the underlying problem.
Ivan will try to look deeper in the coming days.

Your observation that everything worked well with USRP N and doesn't
work with UmTRX is quite strange, because the CPU load with UmTRX is
less than with USRP N. And we sue the same code except that we don't
need resampling with UmTRX. The issue actually comes from the original
OpenBTS code and was discussed some time ago at the OpenBTS mailing
list (search for "Thoughts on the filler table and why it needs to go"
thread). So I'd guess there are other changes which introduced this
issue. May be you've changed your motherboard meantime, or added X11
or did something else which induced non-realtime behavior.

CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио