Off-topic resources on digital voice radio

Farhad Abdolian f.abdolian at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 07:45:05 UTC 2011

Hi,
Thanks for the report, I was looking for it.I read about it yesterday, it is quiet fascinating isn't it? What scared me the most about the report was this:

In a study we conducted over a two year
period in several US metropolitan areas, we found that
a significant fraction of the “encrypted” P25 tactical radio
traffic sent by federal law enforcement surveillance
operatives is actually sent in the clear, in spite of their
users’ belief that they are encrypted, and often reveals
such sensitive data as the names of informants in criminal
investigations.

People spend years of their lives creating and testing those algorithms but in the end, the end user completely ignores them! I believe it is the same with TETRA systems as well, if the user decides not to activate the encryption, the whole 'security' aspect of the product is lost.

I really wonder if this can cause an outcry from the legislators in the US and Europe to enforce more strict ruling against Software Radio 'capable' products. I really hope not, but you never know,

BR,
/Farhad