new TV Tuner Chip, the Si2177

Jürgen Kahrs juergen.kahrs at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 23 08:29:58 UTC 2013

Hello Leif,

> I will order a unit. Maybe I will be able to get it running
> in Linrad. If so, it would probably allow the widest bandwidth of all
> harwdare currently supported.

How useful is such a "wide bandwidth" for users ?
How many of them really need such a wide bandwidth ?
Up to now it always looked like users were mostly interested in single channels.
I am new to this list and don't know what others are doing.

The other reason I am asking is because I have got a very
different device with a bandwidth of 100 MHz running and
I wonder if I am the only one playing with such things.
My device is an ADLINK digitizer PCIe-9842:

  http://www.adlinktech.com/PD/photo/display/PCIe-9842/PCIe-9842_bimg_1.jpg

This digitizer can sample at 200 MHz on a single input channel.
So this is very different from the other devices that are discussed
here: No antenna amplifier, no mixer, no AGC. At 200 MS/s it is
hard to emulate all the missing hardware parts in software.
Since there is no mixer, the software can demodulate only
frequencies in the range of public radio stations (short wave).
Would it make sense to have Linrad support such a device ?
Or is this device just too limited to be of interest ?