Debian Jessie and kernel 3.9.1

Leif Asbrink leif at sm5bsz.com
Sat Aug 24 23:20:26 UTC 2013

Hello Anton,

It is not only your system. I tried Debian Jessie with
the 3.10-2-amd64 kernel.

I follow the same procedure that works rock stable in Wheezy:

Open 8 terminal windows. Start top in the 8th window.

Then start rtlsdr (I use Linrad) One dongle for each terminal
window. I have 7 dongles and they work all glitch-free in Wheezy
at 2.4 MHz with a total CPU load of about 40% on a 8 core machine
with 4667 bogomips.

If I have only a single dongle connected to the computer it works
under Jessie, but if I have two or more the system crasches.
If I open terminals first when needed I can run three dongles,
at least some times, but with all the terminal windows open
the system crasches already when I try to get the first dongle
running.

I have seen 100.1% CPU load from udevd as well as kworker/4:1
and other kworkers. There is no way out except the reset switch.

The Debian bug report system is too complicated so I am not able
to file a report to the developers. They assume I have configured
exim4 or remember the details of my mail accounts....

It seems to be a severe bug so I guess they get reports from
others.

/ Leif