News from the OsmoSDR frontier

Christian Daniel -- maintech GmbH cd at maintech.de
Thu Oct 18 16:40:03 UTC 2012

Hi Harald!

On 18.10.2012 11:53, Harald Welte wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> thanks for all your work and the major update.
>
> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 06:55:42PM +0200, Christian Daniel --
> maintech GmbH wrote:
>> For this to get working, we had to rewrite major parts of the
>> ARM firmware and the FPGA VHDL code. Today this work is completed
>> and I can report success: The OsmoSDR now delivers up to 4msps at
>> 14bits. Also the strange peaks around Niquist/zero frequency are
>> gone.
>
> great!
>
>> We will now integrate the changes into the OsmoSDR mainboard and
>> reroute the now free SSC pins to the pin headers instead of the
>> MCI interface. Also we will add the opamps.
>
> Are you going to do more or less full re-route of the board?  If
> yes, it might be worth designing the size such that it can fit into
> a standard-size (shielded metal) case.  This doesn't mean that
> everyone would have to operate it in such a case, but at least it
> would be nice if an off-the-shelf case could be used.

A full re-routing will not be necessary, but the metal case is high on
our priority list. Especially since I found a spectral line in the GPS
range, which is kind of annoying when testing the GPS synchronisation
stuff (it works when I put the OsmoSDR in a cookie box :).

>> For the already produced OsmoSDR boards, we will have more of
>> the prototype stack-on-top-boards.
>
> do those boards only address the opamp / matching, or actually the
> SD/MMC interface between FPGA and SAM3U?

Both, but you can test the SDIO interface alone if you put six wires
on the connectors between SAM3U and the FPGA. Schematics will go to
git tonight.

> Regards, Harald

Regards :)
Christian

- --
| maintech #      Dipl. Inf (FH) Christian Daniel |
|   GmbH ### Otto-Hahn-Str. 15 · D-97204 Höchberg |
| AG Würzburg, HRB 8790        Tax-ID DE242279645 |
| http://www.maintech.de           cd at maintech.de |